Sunday 17 July 2016

Pokemon Run?

As Pokemon Go was released in Ireland on Saturday (really Sunday because of the crashes) I decided to give it a try on a run and see what all the fuss was about, here's how I got on;



Background
OK, so I'm not stupid enough to ruin a proper run trying to catch make-believe characters! I was away at a wedding this weekend and had done a good run on Saturday morning. A Sunday morning run wasn't planned, but being an early morning riser (like most runners) I decided to get up and do a "sweat out the alcohol run". With zero expectations, it was the perfect time to try out this pokemon lark.
I also got inspiration from an Austin runner that I follow, Lora, who did a similar run recently



The Plan
  • Distance: around 3 miles
  • Pace: 0 expectation or time plan
  • Route: a smaller out and back section of what I'd done the previous day
  • Phone Battery: 100%
  • Other details: try not to look like an idiot running and watching the phone at same time!!!


How I got on
I barely got a minute up the road when a pokemon creature showed up, stop the GPS watch, and start firing pokemon balls aimlessly (I should have read some manual first).
He was caught eventually, and the run went on like this. Some times I'd get 8 minutes running with no pokemon showing, sometimes there'd be one 30 seconds after the other.
Overall I caught 12, and have no idea if that's good or bad!

The Result
  • Distance: 3.6 miles
  • Pace: start/stop, all over the place!
  • Route: started as expected then diverted a different on the way back, hence a longer run. I can see how this thing drags you off plan. Also, I was crossing roads like an idiot (not dangerously, I just looked stupid!)
  • Phone Battery : 74%
  • Pokemon caught: 12



Recommendation
  • Will I do it again? - Probably not 
  • Would I recommend it for runners? - not if you want to do a good run
  • Is it a good thing? Yes. Anything that gets people out and walking is good in my book. My auntie told me her, normally sofa bound, teenager covered over 10k in one day....has to be a good thing.

2 comments:

  1. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. Pokemon Go PH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing article. I am so impressed. Could never think of such a thing is possible with it...I think you have a great knowledge especially while dealings with such subjects. There are a lots wonderful blogs as yours on instagram waiting you, coming site picbear to see them.

    ReplyDelete